Dear Families,

Today was a snow day.  I hope your child was able to successfully access Google Classroom and work through the language and math tasks that I posted :)  The work relates to what we're doing in class and helps reinforce learned concepts.  

At recess time, Evie's older sister Hannah and her friend Mia wrote a message on the wall for us all to admire.  So sweet!  Happy SNOWDAY girls!  


We're already into the third week of February, wowie!  Wishing you all an enjoyable Family Day LONG Weekend!  I hope with having the ‘extra’ day off on Monday you will have the opportunity to spend quality time with all your loved ones.  

For me, I do my best to appreciate and value my time with those I care about like my Ma and brother (see below).  


Growing up, I came from a small, but mighty family consisting of my older brother Anil and my Ma Shiva.  She is a single parent who raised us (bro & I) to be honest, hard working, and empathetic.

I am who I am today because of all the sacrifices my Ma made for me so I could pursue and achieve all my dreams.  She immigrated from India in 1979 not knowing anyone, the language, etc ...   

Through her determination to provide the best life for her kids, she did ANYTHING to provide for us.  She's a lady of many hats who has worked in factories, TD Bank, bus driver, PSW, motel business owner for 14 years, yoga & meditation instructor, and probably other lines of work I'm unaware of.  

I am in awe of her perseverence and resilience!  She is someone I aspire to be like!!  


As dedicated parents, you can surely relate and know what it means to nurture your child(ren) so that they too can live a fulfilling life and be who they are!

For me, the true essence of Family Day is extending our gratitude to our parent(s) who are the ONES who make our lives bright & beautiful.  

Thank you to all the Moms and Dads out there for everything (and more) you do each and every day!

Spirit Day:
Thank you to all the staff and students who took the time to dress up in Canada gear to help support and show our pride for all the outstanding athletes competing at this year's Olympics! 


A special congratulations to our Canadian Women's Hockey Team who has captured women's Olympic hockey gold at Beijing 2022

Captain Marie-Philip Poulin scored twice to lead Canada to a 3-2 win over the United States in the gold medal game at Wukesong Sports Centre. 

Canada:
What makes Canada the greatest country in the world?  For me, it's our cultural diversity and being the most inclusive nation!  

Canada is filled with EVERY COUNTRY'S PEOPLE.  Ethnic diversity is what makes us stand out and proud!  My family immigrated to Canada in the 1970's and I am grateful our country embraced Punjabi people. 


I am here today because of Canada's acceptance and belief system. 

We watched the video below to learn about all the backgrounds that make up Canada.  It is vast and immense, yay!!   


Valentine's Day:
On Monday, we celebrated Valentine’s Day in class!  I hope you can feel our love and energy from the photo below.  We love you with all our hearts!!


Thank you to the families who took the time and energy out of your busy schedules to purchase cards, gift bags, and yummy treats for all of US to enjoy!  I was deeply touched by the gifts I received too, it meant a lot to me!  I will cherish them!

Here are the kids sending and receiving their Valentine's :)  Check out their smiles!








Valentine's Day Activity:
Each year, my gift to my students for Valentine's Day is completing the following lesson & activity.  

I did a mini-lesson on the importance of "THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK!"  We must always ASK OURSELVES:  Is it thoughtful?  Is it honest?  Is it inspiring?  Is it kind?  


The damage that we can do onto others with our words is immense so simply saying, "I didn't mean it," is not ok.  We must always be mindful of what and HOW WE SAY THINGS because ... "Before you speak, think and be smart, it's HARD TO FIX A WRINKLED HEART!"


Students actively listened and we made heart valentines as a helpful reminder.  I hope your child was able to share his or hers with you on Monday evening and will keep it with them always :)  

Gratitude:
I am so moved by my students sharing their love and kindness with me each day they arrive with an open heart and open mind.  We have had such a meaningful start to the new year together.  

Like many celebrations throughout the year (e.g., Thanksgiving, Earth Day), I have shared with my students that Valentine's Day is an event that we must acknowledge and celebrate every day!  It is the right time anytime to spread ... OUR LOVE to each other :-)


Spirit of Giving:
In the spirit of gratitude, I came across this inspirational story about a Muslim man who is making a difference in the lives of those who are in need.  

It connects well with our learning about the importance of giving back to others in our community and beyond. 

Have a listen and be amazed at how a generous act of kindness can change someone's life for the better ... FOR GOOD!


Random Acts of Kindness Day:
Speaking of which, random acts of kindness day took place on February 17th and celebrates and encourages random acts of kindness, large and small


The day was founded in 1995 to “make kindness the norm”.  It's such a beautiful thing to hear from people about how they've been kind or had someone be kind to them unexpectedly just because it's "the right thing to do!"

Please watch the video below as the camera tracks an act of kindness as its passed from one individual to the next and manages to boomerang back to the person who set it into motion. It's catchy and upbeat tune will have you singing along :)


Has this video's Kindness Boomerang inspired you? If so, share an act of kindness now and everyday ... because it's the right thing to do :-)

In class, we consistently discuss ways to be kind in our thoughts, words, and actions.  And for this, I am eternally grateful and very proud of my students day to day efforts :)


Report Cards:
This evening, your child will have brought home his or her Term 1 report card.  I thoroughly enjoy writing these as it gives me the opportunity to mindfully reflect and think about all the amazing achievements your child has attained!  

We all have next steps, including ME, and I have stressed to the children that it is important to remember to celebrate ALL their achievements - 'What I know' and 'What I don't know ... YET!'

Mid-Year Self Assessment:
So, I completed my assessment of my students, but I also wanted to give your child the opportunity to share their 'voice' and let you know how they think they're doing.  It was a meaningful process as your child wrote down their own thoughts about what they'd like YOU TO KNOW about their learning thus far this school year :)

Goal setting is such a significant and important aspect of learning.  

I hope you enjoy reading through this and offering your feedback to your child.  



Can you believe there's only one more term left, I can't believe I'm writing this!!  Time flies when you're having FUN!!


Math:
We have been working hard on solidifying our skills in multiplication and division.  I really appreciate the families who are taking extra time to spend with your child at home going over math concepts, it's making a difference!!  Thank you so much :-)



We will be wrapping up this unit next week and a review sheet will be sent home to practice for the assessment Mon. Feb. 28th.

I have posted photos of these sheets below for your reference and you may wish to have your child access these over the weekend to practice some of the questions to get a start on this.  




Fire Safety Presentation:
Thank you to firefighter Mr. McDonald (Cooper's Dad) and firefighter Mrs. Maan for teaching us all about the importance of fire safety.  



The presentation was very well organized, child friendly, informative, and engaging!!  We appreciate your time and efforts to share your knowledge and expertise with us.






A big thank you for providing each of us with a goody take away bag with items we can use around the house.  A special shout out to Cooper who helped Dad organize and place the gifts in each bag.  This means a lot!!


Home Fire Escape Plan:
I do hope your family was able to utilize the Home Fire Escape Plan that I sent with your child.  It can serve as a very useful tool in case of an emergency.  #safety first



We watched a fire safety video with the wonderful characters Anni and Moby from BrainPop.  In it, they discuss strategies to stay safe and calm in case of a fire at home or school.  


Donations:
Thank you to all the families who quickly and generously donated a box of Kleenex for our classroom.



We were running low and I put a note in the agenda, and many of you took this to heart and had your child bring in a box to school.  I'm very grateful as it is direly needed with these colder temperatures.

From my heart to yours ... Meegwich!

Ruby & Georgia:
This week at library book exchange, Ruby and Georgia came across the book titled "The Water Princess."  They took it upon themselves to sign it out because they knew it was a meaningful read aloud and one that I'd love!!


I was immediately touched by this gesture as my students knew me all too well :)  I shared this book with the class and we discussed its valuable lesson.  

Inspired by the childhood of African–born model Georgie Badiel, acclaimed author Susan Verde and award-winning author/illustrator Peter H. Reynolds have come together to tell this moving story.

As a child in Burkina Faso, Georgie and the other girls in her village had to walk for miles each day to collect water.



This vibrant, engaging picture book sheds light on this struggle that continues all over the world today, instilling hope for a future when all children will have access to clean drinking water.


Reeghan:
Here is another moment in which a child brought another special item to class knowing that I would "love it!"  


Reeghan enthusiastically came to school with a painting that she painted with her aunt.  In it, she shares two friends admiring the horizon connected by love.  "Love is truly the answer to the world's problems!"

Beautiful work, Reeghan!!  Thank you for sharing :)  

Kinley:
Check out Kinley's mask!  She pointed it out to me and said, "Ms. Gill, do you like it?  The artwork on it was made by an Indigenous artist."  


Not only do I LOVE IT, I also have matching napkins with the exact design!!  What're the odds of that!?  

Thank you Kinley for honouring and supporting our Indigenous brothers and sisters.  We are always striving to move forward in the spirit of reconciliation and respect.

Mindfulness:
The NBA celebrates Black History Month.  Please listen and enjoy Doc Rivers thoughts paying tribute to the NBA's first black coach - Bill Russell.  One of the most powerful words from this video for me was:  "Red didn't look at him as a black man, but as a man who could coach!" 


I believe we have come a long way from the injustices of the past.  Today, we see each other not by the colour of our skin, but by the goodness in our hearts.  May we continue moving forward in this positive direction and ensure we keep it this way for eternity!!


Clara M.:
Earlier this week, my former student Clara approached me and said, "Ms. Gill, stay here, I have something to give you!"  I was very curious and when Clara ran back to me, it was a growth mindset that said ... 

"Kindness costs nothing, but it means everything!!"

Oh my goodness, this immediately made my heart swell with JOY!!!  When past and present students embrace the teachings I've done with them, it inspires me to continue working hard to help them grow NOT ONLY AS students, but more importantly, into the BEST PEOPLE THEY CAN BE!!

That's exactly what Clara's demonstrating, she is showing the BEST VERSION OF HERSELF by actively seeking out and spreading kindness!!!


Awww Clara, you made my day!!  I will always be here for you throughout your years here at Nottawa!

Growth Mindset:
Thank you to Georgia for providing this meaningful mindset message.  It is so very true!!!

"Kindness is like a firework, ALWAYS BRIGHT!! - Georgia

Meegwich,
Ms. Gill

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Week of School - SUPERB START-UP!

Second Week of School - Thanks for another sensational experience!