Dearest Families,

Soooo, how many teaching and learning days do we have left?!  Wowie, time sure is flying on by!!  This being said, I can still vividly visualize (picture) the first day of school seeing the keen and bright eyes of my students :)  

Throughout the year, we have enjoyed so many aspects of school, but one that sticks out the most to many is our mindful nature walks!  It gives us the time to connect with one another and have some heart to heart chats :)  

I love these experiences too!  Most children (and adults) desire for their voice and feelings to be heard.  On our walks, it gives me an excellent opportunity to connect with my students beyond the "classwork."  I cherish these moments :-)  



As an educator, it's truly been a memorable school year for me because of all my lovable learners and YOU the extraordinary parents supporting all my teaching endeavours.  I honour YOU!

Supporting Ukraine:
It brings me such joy to write about the tremendous support that our whole school demonstrated on Wednesday for Ukraine by wearing blue and yellow!  The time and effort that staff and students put towards this spirit day was heart soaring!  



Check out all the Ukraine inspired attire, we went all out with yellow n' blue scrunchies, painted nails, shirts, socks and even shoes!  #NottawastandswithUkraine




Beach Day:
The spirit continued today rolling into the weekend with vacation wear!!  Summer's a comin' and we sure made it look, sound, and feel just like it!!

Here we are rockin' beach day - ALOHA ;)


EQAO:
We did it!  We are officially done EQAO :) Every child did his or her personal best and I couldn't be more proud of my students' hard work and resilience!  


Prior to the testing, I realize many may have had their apprehensions, but we actually enjoyed this challenging, yet rewarding process as it helped us celebrate what we know and what we don't know YET ;)


At the conclusion of the assessment, students were given the opportunity to complete a questionnaire where they were able to give their honest feedback about how they feel about their reading, writing, and math skills; as well as, the overall layout and process of EQAO.   

As we were packing up the Chromebooks, Finley mentioned to me, "Hey Ms. Gill, I really liked how we got to tell how we feel about the different parts of EQAO.  The questionnaire was good!"  Right on Finley, I couldn't agree more :)



If you wish, please ask your child: 
What were some of the titles of the reading selections? 
What did you write about for the writing prompt question (e.g., Who are you grateful for?) 
Can you tell me about 5 different math questions you answered?

I have shared with my students that although we are done the testing, we will still be learning and working hard on our math, reading, and writing skills until the end of school :) It's important to keep building our skills with routine and structure as children (and teachers ;) thrive off of this!

Math:
This week, the students enjoyed learning and playing another probability math game (see photo below).


The objective of the game is to flip a coin 50 times to test the probability of heads or tails.  However, before you flip the coin 50 times, make a prediction.  Which side do you think will turn up more often, heads or tails?  Why?  

Please ask your child his or her discovery :)  Below, try spot your child in playing action!  Everyone was very engaged and worked collaboratively with their THINK, PAIR, and SHARE groupings.  

It always brings a smile to my face and heart seeing cooperation displayed in our class community.







Practicing Math Facts:
As the school year winds down, a friendly reminder to provide your child with time to practice his or her math facts such as adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing. 


The link below offers a variety of engaging and fun math fact based games for your child to try out to help hone their skills!  Give it a go this weekend :) 


Music Performance:
After over two years, we were able to finally hold a school wide gathering on our tarmac to help honour many of our students musical talents such as the grade 7/8 band, choir, and special performances from Mrs. Teeter's and Mrs. Hammond's classes.  

It felt SO AMAZING to be together again as a school family :)  The energy was special and reminds me of just how dynamic Nottawa is!  To listen to the sights and sounds of these students on their brass instruments, drums, and xylophones brought such joy to our day!




A special mention to our very own Reeghan, Emily, Evie, and Rose who are part of choir and sang their hearts out for us all to enjoy.  It made me so proud seeing some of my students up there performing.  Their commitment to attending practice and working on their singing is admirable :)  Well done!  


Thank you to Mr. Morin who has been offering his time and energy EVERY Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday mornings to offer band and ukulele to practice with the kids.  This is very much appreciated and we know how passionate you are about bringing music to Nottawa.  Thank you, thank you!


Random Act of Kindness:
I am truly surrounded by the most affectionate, caring and kind children who constantly think of ways to fill my bucket.  For this, I am eternally grateful.

Yesterday, I came into school and one of the first things that I do is go to my computer to begin checking my emails and often I am messaging parents.  Well, this particular student must know this is my routine so she decided to strategically place her note right on my keyboard so I could start my day with a gigantic smile :-)

When I opened it, I could not help but have tears in my eyes.  See message below.          


Upon seeing the handwritten note I knew exactly who it was despite it saying "Sincerely, Guess Who?!" and when I acknowledged her, she adorably smiled :)


Thank you Evie for filling my bucket!  You are a model citizen for KINDNESS.  I know you didn't do this act to be recognized, but just because ... you're a KIND HUMAN.  

Thank you also for your generous donation of tabs for wheelchairs as well :)  I am honoured to teach, learn, and grow with YOU!!  

Mindfulness #1:
Please watch the video below which touches upon the importance of understanding and accepting equity, diversity, and inclusion :)

Afterwards, please discuss the following questions as a family: 
What is the songwriter's message?
What words and images stood out to you?  
How can you help someone feel empowered (good about themselves)?


Mindfulness #2:

As part of National Indigenous Awareness Month and National Indigenous Peoples Day (June 21), today we will learn about and watch another short video to highlight the history and strength of First Nations People.  

#nottawahonoursyou 

Jillian Morris is a Kanienkehaka (Mohawk) woman and band member of Six Nations of the Grand River Territory.  Currently she resides here in Collingwood.

She holds a degree in Public Administration and Indigenous Governance through Ryerson University.  Jillian served 13 years with the Department of National Defence (DND) and co-chaired the Defense Aboriginal Advisory Board for a decade during this time. 

Simultaneously she took advantage of volunteer opportunities which allowed her to build meaningful relationships and networks with other Indigenous people and groups in Simcoe County. 


Thank you Jill Morris for sharing your personal message of self-reflection and resiliency. 

Nottawa, let’s continue to learn about the history and present lives of Indigenous peoples in Canada this month and ongoing! 

Growth Mindset:
Thank you Ruby for sharing this week's mindset message!  This is so true!!  Living is giving.  We all have it in us to give :) 


Meegwich,
Ms. Gill

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Week of School - SUPERB START-UP!

Second Week of School - Thanks for another sensational experience!